Mary Helen Lee L.Ac., Dipl.O.M., R.H.(A.H.G.)
White Moon Healing Center
1309 W. Albion
Chicago, IL 60626
- Acupuncture License # 198-000053, Illinois
- National Commission for the Certification of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine-Certified in Oriental Medicine-2005, Chinese Herbology-2001, Acupuncture-1992.
- American Herbalist Guild- Registered as a Professional Herbalist since 2002.
- Chicago Center for Psychophysical Healing-Certification in Western Herbology, 1991
- Bach Flower Essences Certification, 1995
- Reiki Master Teacher Certification, 1995
- Institute of Aromatic Studies-Level I Certification in Aromatherapy and Essential Oils, 2004
- B.Sc.-Mississippi University for Women, Degree in Biology with emphasis on Zoology. Minors in Physical Sciences and Art, 1987
- Midwest College for the Study of Oriental Medicine-Master’s level certification in Acupuncture, 1991
- World Learning Center Herb School-Certification in Chinese Herbology, 1992
- East-West School of Herbology-Completed home study course, 1993
- Herb Fest- 3 days of herbal seminars each year, 1993-1996
- Institute of Chinese Herbology-Certification of Comprehensive Practitioner Training Program in Chinese Herbal Medicine, 1998
- The Society of Homotoxicology of North America-7 Heel/BHI seminars, 1996 to 2004
- Tibetan Medicine I & II-Dr. Tenzing Dakpa, 2006
- MediHerb/Standard Process. 7 seminars on Clinical Herbology, including 3 in their Restorative Endocrinology series, 2006 to Present.
- Over 1,500 hours of continuing education seminars including training in: Advanced Pulse and Tongue Diagnosis, Auricular (Ear) Acupuncture, Laser Acupuncture, Magnetics, Cosmetic Acupuncture, Japanese & Taoist Acupuncture, Homeopathy, Aromatherapy, Drug-Herb Interactions, Infertility and Assisted Reproductive Therapy, Oncology, Endocrinology, Gynecology, Psychological Disorders, Immunology, Stroke Recovery, Cardiovascular Disease, Digestive Disorders, Pain Management, Diet & Nutrition, Energy Work & Shamanic Healing.1992-present
Medical Practice Experience:
- Private Clinical Practice: White Moon Healing Center, Chicago-Oriental Medicine, Acupuncture, Chinese & Western Herbology, Homeopathy, Nutritional Counseling, Aromatherapy, Reiki Energy Work. Extensive natural pharmacy that includes White Moon Botanicals’ handmade herbal extracts of 150 individual herbs, and over 75 proprietary formulae mixing Chinese and Western herbs, 1992 to present.
- Group Clinical Practice: Chicago Center for Psychophysical Healing-Oriental Medicine, Acupuncture, Chinese and Western Herbs, included extensive work on building a clinic pharmacy and making proprietary formulae, 1990-1992
- Intern Supervisor for Midwest College of Oriental Medicine, at Northside HIV Treatment Center, 1992-1995 and White Moon Healing Center, 1991-1998.
- Clinical Supervisor, Acupuncturist, Herbalist-Northside HIV Treatment Center 1992-1995
- Acupuncture Intern -Chicago Center for Psychophysical Healing, 1990-1991. Northside HIV Treatment Center, 1991. Cook County Hospital Pain Clinic, 1991
Teaching and Lecturing Experience:
- East Point Seminars “Detoxifying the Body and Replacing Chemical Medications with Natural Remedies.” This updated version on our detox class also includes a section on medicinal cannabis. Offering six professional development activity hours for acupuncturists, 2013, and 2014.
- East Point Seminars “Detoxing Methods for the TCM Practice”-Teaching natural methods for detoxing the body. Offering six professional development activity hours for acupuncturists, 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2012
- Arya Bhavan Vegan Indian Restaurant’s Monday night lecture series with organic, raw buffet. 2010 lecture on the basics of detoxification through nutrition, herbal and homeopathic remedies, and special organ cleanses.
- University of Chicago Hospital Cancer Support Group lectures on Chinese Medicine, Diet & Nutrition, 1996, 1998, 2000, 2002.
- Ohashiatsu Center in Evanston, IL-taught classes on Chinese & Western herbal medicine, 1993 & 1994.
- S.W.A.N. (Surviving With AIDS Naturally)-Lecture on detoxing the body through nutrition and herbs, 1994.
- Clan of the Whistling Elk Women’s Lodge-Lecture on Herbs for Gynecological Imbalances, 1993.
- Illinois Association of Acupuncture & Oriental Medicine-Lecture on research about Chronic Fatigue Immune Dysfunction Syndrome and Chinese Medicine, 1992.
- Oriental Medicine Journal, Spring/Wood 2010 Vol. XVIII * No. 3 – Detoxifying the Body: Integrating Naturopathic Remedies Into the TCM Practice.
- The Illinois Acupuncturist-the newsletter of the Illinois Association of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine, Summer 2005-“CPT Insurance Code Update”
- American Journal of Acupuncture, vol. 20, No. 4, 1992 – Overview of the Diagnosis and Treatment of Chronic Fatigue Immune Dysfunction Syndrome according to Traditional Chinese Medicine.
- Diagnosis and Treatment of Chronic Fatigue Immune Dysfunction Syndrome (CFIDS) with Traditional Chinese Medicine-Mary Helen’s original thesis paper for the Midwest College for the Study of Oriental Medicine. This paper contains a lot of valuable information not included in the published version above.
- Scenzene, Chicago’s official Peace and Music Festival Magazine: SANE/Freeze–Merger for Millennium for Non-Nuclear Action. Mary Helen wrote this when she was the canvass director for Illinois SANE/Freeze (The Committee for a Sane Nuclear Policy and the Nuclear Weapons Freeze Campaign)
- American Association of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine
- Illinois Association of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine
- American Herbalist Guild
- Selected by the AFLCIO as the first acupuncturist in Cook Country to be a sponsor at union-news.org for acupuncture referrals to all union members in the area.
- ABC Evening News Chicago featured Mary Helen in a segment by Linda Yu on herbalists and herbal pharmacies. 1998
- Oriental Medical Journal, Vol. 6, No. 2 & 3, 1998, Mary Helen was quoted in the article “Towards a Unified Field Theory of Chronic Disease With Regard to the Separation of Yin and Yang and The Qi is Wild,” written by Leon Hammer, MD.
- Alternative Healthcare Management: The News Magazine of Non-Traditional Medicine (July-Aug 1999) – One Woman’s Journey: How a Small Acupuncture Clinic Survives in the Windy City. Mary Helen was the subject of the feature article.
- In Gary Null’s 2006 book, “Get Healthy Now: A Complete Guide to Prevention, Treatment, and Healthy Living,” Mary Helen is recommended in his practitioner directory.
- Epoch Times, Mary Helen is quoted in the articles: The Many Benefits of Tea Tree Oil (2007) and The Other Body (2008)
- JOY ser feliz esta en ti (Being Happy Is Up To You)- A Reader’s Digest magazine published for Latin Americans. (March 2009). Mary Helen is quoted about detoxing the body in the article Mas Joven en 4 Samanas (More Youthful in 4 Weeks)
- Northwestern University’s Medill Journalism School, Mary Helen is quoted in the article “Mixing Medicine with Herbal Remedies Can be Risky” (2010)
- Yoga Chicago (March-April 2010), Mary Helen is featured in the article “Holistic Healing and Yoga Helped Me Recover from Candida”
- Blackdoctor.org (2010) Mary Helen is quoted in the article Can Acupuncture Help Treat Polycystic Ovary Syndrome?
- Yahoo News, an article about White Moon Healing Center – Caring for HIV and AIDS Patients a True Privilege (2011)
- Hercampus.com, Mary Helen is quoted in the article “Six Herbs that will make you healthier” (June 2014)